August 06, 2012

"50th" Birthday 70's, 80's & 90's Old School Theme


 Planning my Brother's "50th" old school party was one of the funniest parties I got to work on in awhile.

The invites is what set the tone for this party, being that he was turning "50" he wanted to incorporate his favorite thing music.  I purchased postcard invites through vista print on-line, which they make it easy to upload graphics and design what you want.  Vista print has great sales you just have to look for them.  These invites cost around $40.00 dollars, which included return envelopes and RSVP cards that I also made.  



I was the lucky one in charge of the invites, decor and some baking.  
As some know all that I love to do on a budget.  I have to say I did spend a little more on this party then I normally do.  But I still got some great deals and ideas that didn't cost much.  


The centerpieces where made with styrofoam rounds, black & gold tissue paper, pre-cut music notes and glitter. I also hand made the little records in the middle with black and gold paper using a gold paint pin to write.  The Reserved table signs where left over invites.


This cute sign I purchased at Party City for $9.99.  They now sell different style of signs with lettering included.


Keeping it simple over the cake table I used music notes and crepe paper streamers.


Now for the fun part, photo booths is the new rave for parties and weddings.  They can be very costly if you have a company come in for the night.  To bring some fun to the party I decided to create a photo back ground like the ones you might see back in the day when you where in high school.  By making a balloon arch over the top and using a tall cardboard back drop covered with black paper and white table clothes for curtains.  My brother had an old collection of LP covers from the late 70's & 80's that we used.  
Next to the back drop we placed a card table with lots of fun stuff to put on.  I made a sign above the table that said take an item and strike a pose.  Please return back to the table when done.  
He also hired a photographer for the night who took pictures during the party and at the photo area.  
Which ended up being why cheaper then what the booth would of cost.




Let's just say people loved it and we got are money's worth.



Last but not least my brother wanted a cupcake display full of some outrages flavors.  
All I have to say is thank goodness for my mom and sister who are the top baker's in the family.  Displayed above was my pineapple delight, cherry cola & lemon drops cupcakes.  
Which I will be posting recipes for on another post.

If you have questions on this post please email me at rgc2310@gmail.com or follow me on facebook at 
The Sweet and Simple Sisters.

Thanks for checking me out.





0 comments:

Post a Comment